Anyone who lives in Illinois, California, or New York will not be surprised by a survey that shows they are in the group of the Three Worst States to do Business.
Best and Worst States, Things in CommonIllinois ranked among the three worst states for business, according to a survey of U.S. corporate executives released Monday.
Nearly one quarter of the survey's 322 respondents said Illinois had one of the least favorable business climates, according to Development Counsellors International, which specializes in economic development and tourism marketing.
Taxes and high costs were among the factors that contributed to the state's poor showing in the survey. California was deemed to have the worst business climate, followed by New York and Illinois.
Illinois recently increased its income tax rate, which has prompted several companies, including Chicago-based CME Group, to consider leaving the state.
Texas, North Carolina and South Carolina were viewed as having the best business climates, according to the survey.
- Illinois, New York, and California all have Democratic governors.
- Illinois, New York, and California all have governors beholden to public unions.
- Illinois, New York, and California are not right to work states.
- Texas, North Carolina, and South Carolina are all right-to-work states.
- Texas, North Carolina, and South Carolina do not have governors beholden to public unions.
NEW TIME Today, at 9:30 AM PT: Get the Market Movements in Advance; Williams Edge Webinar for January 26th, 2014 | John Ransom