John Ransom

KParwrote:I'll admit, back in the 70's, when the LameStream Press began to hyperventilate about Global Cooling, and the Impending Ice Age, I bit. A decade later, when THE SAME PEOPLE started screeching about Global Warming and The Rise Of The Oceans, it was more a case of "Fool me once, shame on you; Fool me twice, shame on me"- Asteroids, Polar Bear Cannibalism Lead to Global Warming, or, uh, Something Bad

Dear KPar,

Oh, you didn’t hear the latest settled science.

Seriously, I’m not making this up: The Obama administration appointed a panel of experts to look at global warming. And guess what they found?

They found that were it not for man-caused global warming, the next ice age, which every liberal was predicting, would be starting sometime in the next 1,500 years.

Reports CNSNews:

“Scientists continue to study this issue today; the latest information suggests that, if the Earth’s climate were being controlled primarily by natural factors, the next glaciation would begin sometime in the next 1,500 years,” says the report. “However, humans have so altered the composition of the atmosphere that the next glaciation has now been delayed indefinitely.”

The report even mentioned the theories in the 1970s about the next ice age.

“Confirmation of what are called Milankovich cycles (cyclical changes in the Earth’s orbit that explain the onset and ending of ice ages) led a few scientists in the 1970s to suggest that the current warm interglacial period might be ending soon, plunging the Earth into a new ice age over the next few centuries,” the advisory committee said in a draft report released last month.

Even when liberals are wrong, they are right. 

This report will be used to “de-bunk” conservatives who point out that previous global climate predictions have been wrong.

ThreeStone wrote: Please don't believe anything John Ransom says without checking his sources. He conflates, he obfuscates, and even more important, he ignores the main body of intellectual knowledge, because it generally disagrees with what he would like you to believe. What a pompous demagog. - Asteroids, Polar Bear Cannibalism Lead to Global Warming, or, uh, Something Bad

Dear Comrade Number 3,

So you are saying that asteroids have something to do with global warming? And that polar bear cannibalism is on the rise due to global warming?

If you are going to accuse someone of being a pompous demagogue, and ignoring the main body of intellectual knowledge, you really ought to at least know how to spell “demagog” correctly.

So please don’t believe anything Number 3 writes without checking his spelling first.

Look, I don’t have a problem with the main body of intellectual knowledge of any science, but polar bear cannibals aren’t science.

Nor is the practice of tenuously linking every weather event to global warming, which is what you and your Comrades do.

The article wasn’t about the main body of scientific work. The article is about scientists who would mock the scientific method and about the popular media that mocks common sense.

See the problem that you have here is that, like in any profession, in the media you have a certain number of people, like CNN anchor Deborah Feyerick, who are as dumb as a bucket of spit and who just parrot what their colleagues do, which is tie every unusual event to global warming because those stories sell.

And then you also have guys like “leading polar bear biologist Ian Stirling,” who is just trying to cash in on his little bit of global warming vigors.            

Ken5061 wrote: I still do not know whether you think they are talking about the shale oil deposits in the Rockies or about some other shale oil deposits I have heard mentioned. They could be combining the size of the deposits in the Rockies with the technology to reclaim shale oil some place else. They could not do it the last I heard. No way to recover shale oil in the Rockies had been found. Has that changed?

What exactly are you right about Ransom? You have said nothing about the environmental impact of fracking. You've put forth economic arguments. You clearly do not have the slightest comprehension of environmentalism- Report: Frickin’ Fracking Could Ruin Everything for Leftist Activists

Dear Comrade Number 5061,

Yes, the estimates include shale production in the Green River formation. And no, you’re wrong. The only reason why shale oil in the Rockies isn’t extracted in industrial quantities is because the Obama administration and the enviro-whackos are preventing it.

Economic arguments are the ONLY arguments that matter. Real environmental arguments are economic arguments.

You clearly have not the slightest idea of environmentalism either.

You think that environmentalism is about hugging polar bears and living in harmony with nature.

I live in the Rockies. I care about the environment. One of the great things about living in the west is the beauty of it. That’s what supports property values here. Who wants to destroy that?

No one actually.

But who wants to continue to give money to religious and secular dictatorships?

Only intolerant, myopic, arrogant liberals.        

DoctorRoy wrote: John I'm curious as to why you or one of your minions took down the link that I posted this morning to Taibbi's article in Rolling Stone about the sleazy practices in the banking racket er I mean industry. I would think you'd want to spread the word that Obama's Justice Dept. is refusing to prosecute these charlatans. Did you consider it off topic, untrue, or too close to the truth?- Report: Frickin’ Fracking Could Ruin Everything for Leftist Activists

Dear Comrade Doctor,

You’re on to me now.

I was worried that the latest issue of a Rolling Stone article posted by a union stooge that bashed the banking industry would somehow ignite a firestorm of controversy. Next we’d have a kind of Arab Spring of people fill up Wall Street demanding that loans not have to re-paid. You’d call it something completely “stoopid” like Occupy Wall Street. Your protestors would largely be made up of left wing jerk-offs who would defecate on cop cars, in parks and on each other. When finally removed from polite society, they’d leave behind tons of garbage, rampant diseases and a history of idiocy, violence and rape.

You of all people should be glad it was deleted.

By the way, my dad was a banker and so was my grandfather.

Both were Democrats, and both would disavow Barack Obama.      

Repnextdoor wrote:

John,

Obamacare is being phased in.

It is not completely operational, yet.

A rather light-weighted attack on the president.

Try harder.

It is just that easy.

-Riddle Me This Obama: If Healthcare Costs are Our Problem, What Was Obamacare About?

Dear Comrade NextDoor,

It will be obvious, but I really know nothing about poetry. Was that a haiku?

Anyway:

“I find no meaning

In what you say on this page

Refrigerator”   

Repnextdoor also wrote:

Now, John,

In all honesty, the President never said that healthcare was the only problem confronting our economy or our country.

Do you remember what started the recession?

Republican'ts have such selective memories.

It is just that easy.

-Riddle Me This Obama: If Healthcare Costs are Our Problem, What Was Obamacare About?

Dear Comrade Refrigerator,

Rebulican’ts! Ha!

Man that’s almost as funny as your lame haiku. 

Just for future reference haikus have 5 syllables, 7 syllables, then 5 again.

What started the recession was the government’s creation of a large housing bubble through artificially low interest rates and government guarantees on home mortgages.

I remember.

You never knew. Still don’t.    

chicaree wrote: "HUGE problem with healthcare spending". Yes there is a problem with out of control costs for health care. 4 months ago my husband stepped on a pincushion I had left lying on the floor and ran a needle all the way into his heel. We couldn't see the end of the needle to pull it out. The doc took an x-ray and said it had to come out as needles tend to move and could end up in his heart or lungs. Into the emergency room for surgery, where they sliced open the side of his foot and removed the needle. As I sat in the waiting room there was about 20 people there waiting for care. ONLY one looked to be an emergency. It was the poor with no money nor health care insurance to get care. The bill for the surgery on his foot was $15,000.00. -Riddle Me This Obama: If Healthcare Costs are Our Problem, What Was Obamacare About?

Dear Comrade Chicaree,

Ok. So you leave a needle on the floor where someone can step on it. Your husband steps on it so hard that it goes all the way in. They remove it, for which occasion you have insurance. And all you can do is complain that the cost of your stupidity was too expensive.

Some people don’t deserve “free” healthcare.

And then there is you.    

DoctorRoy wrote: But when the first labor unions formed there weren't any Communists yet. As far as organized crime goes you'd be hard pressed to find any facet of American life that hasn't been influenced at one time or another by organized crime. - Unions Lose it Under Obama

Dear Comrade Doctor,

Come on. Who you trying to fool beside yourself?

You are saying that all of America has been influenced by the mob in the way organized labor has?

Go read a book or a report or something informative on the topic.

But you better ask the shop steward first.  

Bernard83 wrote: Geez John! A half decade is 5 years and 0bama has been in power 4 years going on 5. Did you mean 'half Century'? - Unions Lose it Under Obama

Dear Bernard,

Half century, of course.

emarineves wrote: Chevy Volt again tops Consumer Reports Owner-Satisfaction Survey "The Chevrolet Volt has done the double, nearly replicating its triumph from last year: For its annual Owner Satisfaction Survey, the Consumer Reports National Research Center asked Consumer Reports readers, "Considering all factors (price, performance, reliability, comfort, enjoyment, etc.), would you get this car if you had it to do all over again?" Ninety-two percent of Volt owners answered "Definitely yes," topping nearly 250 other models for which responses were received. " -Chevy Volt Follows Stupid 2012 with Stupider 2013

Dear Comrade E,

Oh my…gosh…

You mean the fools who were smart enough to pay $40,000 for an electric version of the Chevy Cruze- retail $17,500- pretended to be the most happy people on earth…ever!!??

Who would have thought that such gullible people would have continued to be gullible?

The question really can be rephrased this way: "Considering all factors (price, performance, reliability, comfort, enjoyment, stupidity, the fact that people make fun of you behind your back, the high cost you eventually will pay to replace the battery, the fact that your car might start on fire, etc.), would you get this car if you had it to do all over again?"

Who wouldn’t say yes to that!

Oh, yeah…see  below.       

ACPoints wrote: The author says ... "the Chevy Volt- the car on which the company says it pinned all its hopes and dreams".  I couldn't find any attribution this grandiose from GM. What I do have is GM's stated goal of having 500,000 world wide sales of battery tech vehicles of all types including PHEVS, HEVs and LHEVs by 2018. My guesstimate is this will be around 4.5% of their sales by that point. This would be a small but not insignificant component of their overall sales, of which plug-ins would probably be the smallest. The author quotes greencarreports.com "China and Europe together accounted for only 111 Volts.” But then the article goes on to say: "In Europe, customers purchased 5,293 Amperas" I'm not sure why the author neglected to mention this ... -Chevy Volt Follows Stupid 2012 with Stupider 2013

Dear Comrade AC,

I didn’t mention it because it’s not worth mentioning. 5,293 Ampera sales in Europe doesn’t account for very much actually.

The people who have orgasms of delight over the Ampera and the Volt are engineers not drivers.

Because what I have is GM’s stated goal of selling 60,000 of the Volt in 2012. They sold 23,000. And they only made those numbers because they drastically slashed the price in the second half of the year. 

They shuttered production on the line twice this year because of poor sales.

 “The Volt’s technology and its recent accolade from Consumer Reports make the Volt a marketing tool for Chevy,” said Alan Batey, vice president for Chevrolet U.S. sales, at the beginning of December according to Bloomberg. “This vehicle is about more than how many we sell,” Batey said. “This vehicle is a magnet around everything we are trying to do to showcase our brand.”

That’s not a magnet GM.

It’s a paperweight.

Batey should be fired.

That’s all for this week,

V/r,

JR


John Ransom

John Ransom is the Finance Editor for Townhall Finance.