Edith Lank

Dear Ms. Lank: Why did you tell that man to make out a will to add his companion's name to the title on their house? Everyone knows that goes to probate.

Why not tell the people the truth? Just go get a quitclaim deed, having the owner quit their claim and add the other person? Then they can add themselves back on so it reads tenants in common with right of survivor. Of course, all this will have to be notarized and then recorded at the local courthouse, but these people do not have to get an attorney involved. -- G., via askedith.com

Answer: This column runs to 800 words, and I like to include several questions. There's almost always a great deal more that could -- and perhaps should --be said on just about any topic, but I must usually limit the answer to the specific query.

"That man" did not ask me whether to add his companion's name to the title but simply how to arrange it for when he dies. I told him to write a will because if he doesn't, the state will dispose of his house and other property, possibly in ways he wouldn't want.

Your second question: I'd never take the responsibility of telling someone to "just go get a quitclaim deed" because that might turn out to be really bad advice. In some cases it could accomplish what they want; for others it might lead to unexpected trouble, for them or for the ones they're trying to protect. That's why I send people to a lawyer who specializes in estate planning or elder law. An attorney can explore the whole situation, explain potential drawbacks, and help arrange what's best for all parties. Besides, probate needn't be that much of a problem, particularly for simple estates. Television shows and ads that make it sound scary are often just trying to sell you unnecessary products.

My Bad Advice Two

Dear Ms. Lank: I'm not quite sure what your intention was with your reply to the gentleman inquiring about the home he shares with his partner of 28 years, but to ask or imply that he may have a wife is insulting and rude. I don't know what you mean by "the exact situation." Possibly, you have personal experience with your husband having a domestic partner that he shares a house with. I'm sure that must have complicated matters for you, but there was no indication of the sort with this writer. You should be embarrassed and ashamed of your response. Have you not learned anything in your 86 years? -- D. R.

Answer: Yes, I've learned that a never-divorced legal spouse from long ago might claim a share, perhaps all, of a decedent's estate. I don't see anything rude about alerting the gentleman to that remote possibility. And yes, I am still sure that that any lawyer would check out the "exact situation," before giving estate-planning advice.

Edith Lank

Edith Lank is an authority on housing issues.

Be the first to read Edith Lank's column. Sign up today and receive Townhall.com delivered each morning to your inbox.


Get the best of Townhall Finance Daily delivered straight to your inbox

Follow Townhall Finance!