In a recent post comparing Reaganomics and Obamanomics, I explained why I think Barack Obama’s policies have been hurting the economy.
In today’s New York Post, I do a full-scale indictment. Here are my bullet points.
* The unemployment rate is still above 8 percent, even though the White House promised it would drop to about 6 percent today if the stimulus was enacted.
* Several million fewer Americans have jobs today than five years ago.
* The poverty rate has jumped to more than 15 percent, with a record number of Americans living below the poverty level of income.
* According to the most recent data, median household income is lower than when the recession began.
* The burden of government spending remains high, and record levels of red ink are a symptom of that bloat in Washington.
* The threat of higher taxes is omnipresent, serving as a Sword of Damocles over the economy’s neck
* Continued weakness in the housing and financial sectors reminds people that bailouts and intervention have left lots of problems unsolved.
I also explain that some of the recent good news is in spite of the President’s statist policies.
* The recovery began just as Obama’s stimulus spending ended, thus confirming suspicions that lots of money was wasted as part of a process that hindered the economy’s growth.
* The job numbers only began to improve at the end of 2010, right as Republicans took control of the House and presumably ended Obama’s ability to further shift the nation’s course.
The final point is one deserving of elaboration. People in the private sector necessarily have to make educated guesses about the future economic environment. With this in mind, I think it’s quite reasonable – as I commented last month – to argue that the GOP takeover on Capitol Hill boosted the economy since entrepreneurs could feel more comfortable that the federal government wasn’t going to be imposing additional burdens.
NEW TIME Today, at 9:30 AM PT: Get the Market Movements in Advance: William's Edge Webinar for December 19th, 2014 | John Ransom
In Other News: New Captain America Will be Black; Racist Liberals Suddenly Become Fans | Michael Schaus